Do you love gardening but do not have the space for your hobby. Now you can make the smallest corner of your house into a beautiful garden by following a few simple techniques. Even the drabbest of corners that you never thought could boast of a garden will be now teaming with plants that you will be complimented for.
So what is stopping you read on and get started. Container garden like the name suggests is a form of gardening where you use containers to grow plants. However there are a few guidelines to be followed in order to make this a grand success.
Tips for Container gardening:
- Choose the right kind of pots that are decorative yet highly durable. Cheap plastic containers may deteriorate when exposed to sunlight while wooden containers may rot due to moisture. Wood treated with chemicals, tends to spoil the life of your health so it is of paramount importance that you choose the right kind of containers for gardening. You may want to choose glazed ceramic pots as they can add to the beauty of your garden. If you wish to use clay pots you will need to monitor the pots closely and water them as and when need be. Make sure your pots have enough drainage holes. The holes should be of at least half an inch diameter.
- Avoid using containers that have a very narrow neck and line the bottom of the pots to avoid loss of soil.
- In case of hot climate you may use light coloured pots that will not absorb much heat. Smaller pots have less capacity and the plant growth is inhibited hence choose the size of pot depending on the size of plant.
- Compost will be the best choice of planting medium for container gardening as they drain out any excess water and retains just enough moisture for the plants growth. In case you are unable to obtain compost for your plants, make the mixture from loamy garden soil and peat moss. Try and avoid adding soil as most container plants grow best without soil.
- Make sure you add fertilizer to your plants every time you water them. While liquid seaweed is an excellent plant booster, there are a number of fertilizers available in the market that is equally good.
- Watering the plants by monitoring them is very important. Some plants need more watering while others can miss a day. Concentrate on watering plants that may be exposed to sunlight more often.
You can grow a variety of plants and vegetables in containers. A few examples are listed below.
Marigold, Geraniums, Pansies, Zinnias are few of the plants that will add colour to your container garden.
While choosing vegetables you will need to select those vegetables that have an early maturing period like Broccoli, Lettuce, and garlic.
These are a few essential tips for container gardening. This will help you making your house more colourful while letting you engage in a hobby that you have always loved but were unable to pursue for the dearth of gardening space.